Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Way of the Bodhisattva



















I recently came across these verses and found them inspiring. So I thought I would share them:

For all those ailing in the world,
Until their every sickness is healed,
May I myself become for them
The doctor, the nurse, the medicine itself.

Raining down a flood of food and drink,
May I dispel the ills of thirst and famine.
And in the ages marked by scarcity and want,
May I myself appear as drink and sustenance.

For sentient beings, poor and destitute,
May I become a treasure ever-plentiful,
And lie before them closely in their reach,
A varied source of all that they might need.

My body, thus, and all my goods besides,
And all my merits gained and to be gained,
I give them all away withholding nothing
To bring about the benefit of beings.

Like the earth and the pervading elements,
Enduring like the sky itself endures,
For boundless multitudes of living beings,
May I be their ground and sustenance.

Thus for everything that lives,
As far as are the limits of the sky,
May I provide their livelihood and nourishment
Until they pass beyond the bonds of suffering.

- Shantivadea, The Way of the Bodhisattva
(quoted in Joseph Goldstein, One Dharma)

No comments:

Post a Comment